Over the next several weeks, Americans for Prosperity will be hosting a summer series of grassroots tax reform events across the nation.
Tonight in Fargo, we are hosting Congressman Kevin Cramer for an in-depth discussion about how Congress can take the necessary steps to un-rig our broken tax code and make progress on other critical free-market reforms. These meetings will offer an opportunity for activists to meet directly with their members of Congress to encourage them to take the bold steps needed and give us an opportunity to share our plans to continue growing our chapter in this state and across the country.
The demand for tax reform is real – 73 percent of Americans have expressed their desire to see tax reform happen this year. North Dakotans especially understand how a pro-growth tax and regulatory climate can help jumpstart the economy beyond the sparse recovery of the last decade.
Our vision for tax reform follows five simple principles:
- SIMPLICITY: Lower rates, fewer brackets, and the elimination of special loopholes, deductions and exemptions will make tax compliance easier and more affordable.
- EFFICIENCY: A broad-based, low-rate tax system is the most efficient way for the government to collect revenue – causing as little disruption to the economy as possible.
- EQUITABILITY: Corporate welfare and special-interest handouts in the current tax code create an unfair, two-tiered tax system and should be eliminated.
- PREDICTABILITY: Tax certainty is essential to a pro-growth tax system.
- NO BURDEN ON TAXPAYERS: Comprehensive tax reform must be done without placing new burdens on the American people, whether in the form of a BAT, VAT, carbon tax, or otherwise.
By enacting comprehensive tax reform, we can empower the American people and unleash economic growth and opportunity so that all Americans, especially the least fortunate, can improve their lives and pursue their American Dream.
At a recent event, AFP President Tim Phillips also addressed how tax reform can empower hardworking Americans that feel cheated by an economy that’s rigged against them.
“The tax code favors the rich, the powerful, the well connected…Here’s their chance to help folks get up the rungs of the ladder,” Phillips said. “Last year the American people spoke loudly and clearly for change — big, bold, dynamic change. And nowhere is that more important than on tax reform. We are calling for our legislators today to go big, go bold and to go all in to get transformative tax reform to get our economy moving again.”
Today’s event in Fargo is taking place at 6:00 p.m. at the Avalon Events Center, and will also feature AFP’s Vice President of External Affairs, Chrissy Harbin.
AFP is mobilizing our activists in 36 states across the country to urge their lawmakers in Congress to support our positive vision for tax reform. We have also launched a series of digital ad campaigns to urge lawmakers to support our pro-growth principles and make sure tax reform becomes a reality.
Now is the time – the American people have spoken loud and clear and they are counting on Congress to seize this historic opportunity to reform our broken tax system. Our path forward to unrig the American economy starts now.
To register for tonight’s event, click here: North Dakota Federal Policy Summit.