Last week Fargo business Doug Burgum told us that he’d be announcing his intentions for a 2016 run for governor on Thursday this week.
Well, it isn’t Thursday yet, but I think the email blast sent out by Burgum tonight answers the question.
Either that, or he’s planning on taking a road trip to tell people he’s not running.
Burgum has said previously that he’s running as a Republican (sorry, Mike Jacobs), and I think the general consensus is that he’s not planning on seeking the party’s endorsement at the state convention. My guess is that he’ll run straight to the June primary ballot.
State Rep. Rick Becker and Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem – the two Republicans already in the race – have previously gone on the record to me saying that they’ll attend the convention and abide by the outcome.
Buckle up, folks. Things just got really, really interesting.
Here’s the full email blast, complete with details about Burgum’s campaign stops.