One of the first measurements of a new presidential administration is the accomplishments of its first 100 days. For President Donald Trump, that day was last Saturday. I believe the accomplishments of the Trump Administration have been significant, especially as it relates to issues that matter to North Dakotans. With his 30 executive actions and the legislation Congress sent to his desk, we have begun to right the ship of state that had been sinking under the weight of unprecedented regulatory onslaught that killed jobs and stifled economic growth.
Congress sent more than 29 bills to President Trump’s desk for signature more than any other Congress in a president’s first 100 days since 1949. This includes 13 Congressional Review Act (CRA) resolutions that overturned burdensome agency regulations. Estimates are the regulatory relief in the first 100 days of the Trump Administration will save families and businesses more than $67 billion. Along with that has come great optimism in the job-creation world, especially in North Dakota’s energy and agriculture sectors.
President Trump kept his campaign promise of appointing a true constitutional conservative jurist to the U.S. Supreme Court. Justice Neil Gorsuch’s nomination and swift confirmation by the Senate will have a positive impact on Supreme Court decisions for decades to come. His cabinet appointees as well are accomplished individuals who are bringing to Washington their valuable experience in the private sector.
Here is a more detailed list of some accomplishments of the first 100 days specifically affecting North Dakotans:
– Presidential Memorandum and eventual approval of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
– Presidential Memorandum and eventual approval of Keystone XL Pipeline.
– Signed Congressional Review Act disapproval of the Office of Surface Mining’s Stream Protection Rule.
– Signed Congressional Review Act disapproval of the Bureau of Land Management’s Planning 2.0 Rule.
– Signed Executive Order on Promoting Energy Independence and Economic Growth.
– Signed Executive Order on Reviewing the Antiquities Act.
– Signed Executive Order on Implementing an America-First Offshore Energy Strategy.
Supreme Court Appointment
– Appointed and successfully had Neil Gorsuch confirmed to the Supreme Court.
– Signed Title X Rule CRA.
– Signed Executive Order reinstating the Mexico City Policy.
– Signed two Department of Education Rules CRAs.
– Signed Social Security Administration Gun Rule CRA.
– Signed Executive Order directing the Department of Justice to implement a plan to “stop crime and crimes of violence against law enforcement officers.
– Signed Executive Order directing executive departments and agencies to freeze new or pending regulations, giving the new administration time to review them.
– Signed Executive Order which requires federal agencies to cut two existing regulations for every new regulation they implement.
– Signed Executive Order establishing a Regulatory Reform Task Force to review unnecessary and costly regulations in each federal agency.
– Shortly after the first 100 days, President Trump signed an Executive Order establishing a new policy in the Trump Administration to protect and vigorously promote religious liberty.
– Signed Executive Order authorizing actions to secure the southern border including the building of a wall, the hiring of more border patrol agents and other security measures.
– Signed Executive Order prioritizing interior immigration enforcement including blocking funds to sanctuary cities, ending “Catch and Release” and removing criminal illegal aliens.
– Signed Executive Order putting a temporary freeze on travel from six terrorist safe havens and suspended the refugee program until stronger vetting and security measures can be reviewed and implemented.
– Holds Syria’s al-Assad accountable.
– Signed VA Reform law to protect whistleblowers.
– Signed VA Choice law to extend VA Choice Act.
– Signed Executive Order directing review of burdensome pieces of the Dodd-Frank legislation.
– Signed Executive Order to delay Fiduciary Rule.
– Signed Executive Order to expedite environmental reviews for transportation/
– Signed Executive Order giving the Department of Health and Human Services and other executive departments and agencies the authority and discretion to roll back certain aspects of the Affordable Care Act.
– Signed Executive Order creating the Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and Opioid Crisis which will study the government’s effectiveness in fighting drug addiction.
– Shortly after his first 100 days, President Trump reached a significant milestone by moving the American Health Care Act, a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare through the House of Representatives.
– Signed Executive Order to review Waters of the US Rule.
– Signed FCC Internet Privacy CRA.
– FCC Chairman Pai Announces Plan to Repeal Net Neutrality.